Mar 15, 2009

Are Your Truly A World Changer?

Are people better off because they know you? Do you think others have a more positive attitude, a more cheerful demeanor or a brighter outlook on life - in part, because they're associated with you? In Church this morning - I heard a song with these words - "People's life's should better because they know me". It set me thinking about what it really means to be a World Changer. Are we really leading purposeful lives?

We all live very busy lives - constantly juggling the urgent with the important. We often have to re-prioritize work items and deliverables as I try to accomplish my goals. Smart Companies are learning to reward employees not just for hitting agreed upon goals, but for doing so in a collaborative manner, non-destructive fashion.

During the course of my (admittedly) short career - I've been guilty of being too overbearing in some cases and overly deferential, in others. I'm learning to be assertive and express myself in a non-confrontational fashion.

Every day, we are presented with great opportunities to have a positive impact on others - simply by the way we present ourselves and the approach we take to dealing with challenges.
I try to look for the win-win - I hear you all saying that's much easier said than done. That's true - sometimes we do have to compromise or even give in, but even when that happens, we need to maintain a positive outlook.

I'm hoping this post will be a therapeutic one for me - I don't always project a positive attitude. I certainly can't categorically state that any of my colleagues are better off because they've worked with me, although I do hope so.

It's a fact that we're all affected by the environment in which we live, the words, actions and attitudes of those around us.

World Changers: The song reminded me that we all need to keep trying to have a positive impact on those around us. That way, we're sure to continue to change and affect people's lives - for the better......

Peace.

No comments: